Thursday, March 17, 2011

Serial Planes Studies

      Serial Planes can be seen all around us. The use of serial planes is found often in both art and architecture. Although man-made serial planes are more easily recognized, they can be found in nature as well. During this project I began to see serial planes everywhere.
      For the first part of this project we used serial planes to transform a book. I really enjoyed the challenge of working with the book. The fact that the pages were all attached to the spine made it more difficult to completely lose the form of the book. For this part of the project I chose a beautiful book about the art of books.  It was a rare edition book that my dog had partially destroyed, so I really liked the idea of giving it new life. I used both folding and cutting techniques to give it a balanced feel. I looked through the book to find the more decorative pages and folded them around to show the color and text. The black and white text contrasted with vibrant colors gave the piece a lot of visual interest. I found it to be a creative solution to the problem, and I really think the final piece turned out great.
      For phase two of the project we took plain white foam board and used serial planes to create a three-dimensional piece. I found this part of the project to be less challenging. Although the possibilities seemed endless at first, I quickly realized I wanted to do something using positive and negative spacial relationships. The research process was helpful. It allowed me to see how the foam board could be used to create a completely new shape. I enjoyed working with serial planes and I think I came up with an interesting and unexpected solution to the problem.


Phase One










Phase Two Research










Phase Two





1 comment:

  1. The outcome of both phases of this serial planes project was successful in terms of transformation of rather flat surfaces into a 3D Object through a creative exploration of positive and negative space. Despite the difference on the materials used and problems presented in each case, the projects are quite consistent. Particularly in terms of the shapes used. In the book, the combination of open and folded pages provided a dynamic narrative of textures and colors all around the 3D piece. The book has indeed acquired a new life.

    In the case of the foam board sculpture, I believe the scale enhanced the possibilities of perceiving the piece from different perspectives. Lighting has added also a new and interesting dimension to it.

    A-

    ReplyDelete